You are invited to participate in the Kids Marathon Challenge to prepare for Calgary Run for Water’s 5 km walk/run on September 8, 2012!
Kids Marathon Challenge
A marathon is approximately 42 km. That would be like running almost 500 laps around the basketball court in your school gymnasium!
Your challenge is to complete 37 km before the Run on September 8. Then, when you run or walk 5 km for Calgary Run for Water you will have completed an entire marathon!
Here’s what you need to know to get started and successfully complete the Kids Marathon Challenge:
- Register for the Calgary Run for Water online at: calgary.runforwater.ca.
- Have a parent or guardian help you map a safe 0.5 km (500 m), 1 km, and 1.5 km route near your house.
- Wear sturdy running or athletic shoes when you go for a run or walk.
- Pace yourself by taking walk breaks. Even very experienced runners do this when they are training because it helps make training safe and fun.
- Encourage your family and friends to train with you. Running is always more fun when you do it with someone else.
- Refuel after your run or walk with water and a healthy snack.
- Record each run or walk on your log sheet and have an adult sign it.
- Bring your completed log sheet to the 5 km run/walk on September 8!